In order to enhance the educational experience of its students, the Department of Communication Studies accepts majors on a restricted basis. Students must follow these steps to apply for the major.
Step 1: Satisfy the minimum requirements to apply for the major.
- Complete COMS 130 (unless they have received a waiver or, in the case of transfer students, an equivalent course).
- Complete at least three of: COMS 104, 235, 244, 246, 310, 320, 331, 332, or an equivalent course at another university, college or community college.
- Earn a GPA of at least 2.75 in COMS 130 and 3 additional courses from the list above (grades from other COMS courses will not be considered for admission to the major)
Step 2: Apply for the major.
- Complete the application in the semester in which you are enrolled in your 3rd COMS course from the list of admission classes (104, 235, 244, 246, 310, 320, 331, 332).
- Applications are due by the last day of classes (per the Academic Calendar) for the semester in which the student wants to apply.
Evaluation of applications to the major
Determinations of an individual student's admission will be based on the following criteria:
- Completion of COMS 130 (unless they have received a waiver or, in the case of transfer students, an equivalent course).
- Earn a 2.75 or higher GPA in the COMS admission courses, including COMS 130 and 3 additional courses from the following list: 104, 235, 244, 246, 310, 320, 331, 332.
Notification of the results of application will be made no later than June 1st for Spring applicants, August 15th for Summer applicants, and January 13th for Fall applicants. Students denied acceptance into the major may meet with our advising specialist, Cindy Thompson, to review their options.
Note: The Communication Studies Department also offers a minor, which requires COMS 130 and 18 additional hours of COMS coursework. The minor does not require admission.
If you are ready to apply, click here.