- Associate Professor
Ph.D., University of Kansas
Relationships & Social Interaction
Dorthy Pennington’s teaching and research areas are intercultural and interracial communication/critical race theory, cultural rhetorics, African American communication and culture, the discourse of terror and trauma, and African American regional church history.
- Mediation and memory in the rhetoric of Condoleezza Rice. A paper from this body of research garnered a top paper award at the 2008 NCA Convention
- Identity mediation and diunitality in the rhetoric of Barack Obama
- Social movements in African American communication and diaspora studies
- Racial identity and power
- Theoretical constructs and applications in interracial communication-book manuscript completed; in search of a publisher
Selected Publications —
- “Emic, Etic, and Andragogy: The Contributions of Nobleza Asuncion-Lande to Intercultural Communication, “ Journal of Intercultural Relations, 26(2012).
- “Barack Obama’s ‘Authentic Self’ as a Spiritual Warrior,” Howard Journal of Communications, 2014 – 2015. DOI, 2014; 26(2015), 74-94.